Illinois Eviction/Lease Agreement Attorney
Protecting the Rights of Landlords in Disputes with Tenants
If you are a landlord, you know that the rights of tenants in the City of Chicago are well-protected by the law. To protect your interests, you need an experienced and knowledgeable attorney, one well-versed in the laws and procedures involving landlord and tenant relationships in the City of Chicago, one who is fluent with and has in-depth knowledge of the Chicago Residential Landlord and Tenant Ordinance (commonly known as the RLTO), and has successfully protected the rights of other landlords.
In Chicago (and in the surrounding areas) Landlords must be proactive in protecting their rights and interests and adopt aggressive defense tactics against tenants. If you are a Landlord facing litigation, The Payne Law Office, Chartered, can provide you with the experienced and reliable representation that you need.
At The Payne Law Office, Chartered, we have worked extensively with residential property owners throughout the Greater Chicagoland area. When you hire us to help protect your property interests, we will devote our full attention to every aspect of your case. We understand how important it is to be able to communicate with your attorney, and work hard to promptly respond to your calls or e-mails.
For a free initial consultation, contact our office online or call us at 773-467-8991 or toll-free at 888-827-3077.
Our Landlord-Tenant Practice
We focus our landlord-tenant practice on the legal needs of commerical or residential landlords, handling all matters involving the Chicago Residential Landlord and Tenant Ordinance (RLTO) and other ordinance violations, including:
- Failure to pay interest on a security deposit under the RLTO or other ordinance
- Commingling of a security deposit in violation of the RLTO, other ordinance or state law
- Failure to repair and/or provide essential services
- Failure to provide proper notice when accessing or entering the property in violation of the RLTO or other ordinance
- Failure to attach the RLTO summary or other ordinance to the lease or provide a copy of the RLTO summary or other ordinance to a month-to-month tenant
- Failure to attach the security deposit summary to the lease in violation of the RLTO or other ordinance, or to provide a copy of the security deposit summary to a month-to-month tenant
- Failure to notify of ownership changes in violation of the RLTO or other ordinance
- Failure to make appropriate and proper heating cost and lead paint disclosures to the tenant
We handle the breach of a lease agreement by a tenant, including:
- Failure to pay rent in a timely manner
- Failure to vacate the property after termination of the lease
- Failure to abide by the terms of the lease, including the tenant's failure to observe and/or follow any rules and regulations.
We handle all matters related to eviction proceedings, preparing and serving the eviction notices, including:
- 5 day (nonpayment of rent)
- 10 day (lease violations)
- 14 day (certain other lease and/or ordinance violations)
- 30 day (termination of month-to-month tenancies)
We will represent you in both joint actions against tenants for possession and unpaid rent, or single actions for possession only. We will represent you in actions for unpaid rent, even if you do not want to terminate the tenant's lease.
We handle all aspects of Lease Drafting and/or Lease Review, so that you will be well-protected prior to entering into a landlord-tenant relationship.
If you are a landlord, you need the services of an attorney with great skill and experience in a climate hostile to landlords, as is the case in Chicago. The landlord rights attorneys at The Payne Law Office, Chartered, will protect you and your commercial or residential property in any dispute with your tenant. You will get the information you need to protect your interests from our attorneys, a must in Chicago where the laws are highly favorable to tenants rights. Click here for more information on real estate transactions and litigation.
If you are sued under the RLTO or other ordinance, you need the protection of an attorney. The attorneys at The Payne Law Office, Chartered have vast experience protecting landlords in disputes with tenants, and we can defend you against accusations of RLTO violations including:
- Getting sued for failure to pay interest on or commingling a security deposit
- Failure to make repairs or provide essential services
- Failure to attach or provide the RLTO or security deposit summaries
- Entering or accessing the property without notice
- Failing to notify your tenants of change in property ownership after you have purchased an investment property, which can result in you being assessed statutory penalties, some amounting to double the amount of the security deposit or double the monthly rental amount. You can also be made to pay the tenant's attorneys fees.
We also provide strong representation to residential tenants who have been treated unfairly by a landlord.
For more information on Landlord-Tenant law, please see our LandLord-Tenant Center.
Contact Our Office
We offer a free initial consultation. To set up an appointment, contact our office online or call our office at 773-467-8991 or toll-free at 888-827-3077. We are conveniently located near the Daley Center, as well as the courthouses in Skokie, Rolling Meadows and Maywood. We accept Visa, MasterCard, Discover and American Express.